Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pop Guru's Cool Crap to Check Out

Since I'm usually obsessed with some TV show, movie, etc., I figured I should start a segment where I share some recommendations for all of you fellow pop culture fans. Pop Guru's Cool Crap to Check Out, if you will.

TV Shows: I'm a fan of all things reality (read: trash) and usually have a lot of shows I need to catch up on. I've only seen the pilot episode of "The Fashionista Diaries" (Wednesdays @ 9PM, SOAPnet), but I'm already hooked. Six young New Yorkers interning at Jane magazine (now kaput), Flirt! Cosmetics, and Showroom Seven are desperately trying to make a name for themselves in the cutthroat fashion industry. Ok, so maybe the fact that I can identify with some of the situations has something to do with my liking the show, but regardless, it's like "Laguna Beach" with careers. Hookups, jealousy, clawing your way to the top, and stabbing someone in the back with your Jimmy Choo stiletto heel... It doesn't get any better than that.

Other stuff I'm watching: I'm trying to get into "John from Cincinnati", but it doesn't really grab my attention just yet. DVR is calling my name right now to catch up on this week's "Big Love" and "Rescue Me". I'm also (shamefully) intrigued by "Fat March" and will watch that on DVR at some point, as well.

Movies: The only movie I've seen in the theater lately is The Simpsons Movie. It was funny, but very Al Gore influenced. Perhaps if I was still watching "The Simpsons" regularly, I would have enjoyed it more.

Movies out now that I want to see: Hairspray, No Reservations, 2 Days in Paris, The Ten, Once.

DVDs: My Netflix Queue is quite large (I'm at 470 movies on my list... You're only allowed 500) and I can never decide what I want to watch. But I've just finished the second disc of "Freaks and Geeks" and I'm so pissed that I have to wait three days for disc three! The show was created by Judd Apatow, director of The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up and stars many faces you are familiar with from those movies. Seth Rogen and James Franco got their start in show business as two of the "Freaks". In the second episode of the show, the kids get "wasted" off of non-alcoholic beer and hilarity ensues. "Freaks and Geeks" only lasted one season before NBC pulled it (the bastards!). I must caution you before you pop it in your DVD player though... "Freaks and Geeks" may force you to remember some of your terribly awkward high school moments you have tried so desperately to forget.

What else I have at home: Avenue Montaigne and Shooter (I can't resist Mark Wahlberg!).

Books: I'm currently reading several books, but the one I've been trying to finish since Christmas is What Jackie Taught Us about life lessons on style and grace from Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis (lessons I clearly need).

Also reading: Blink and Think and Grow Rich.

Now you have plenty of crap to check out. Get on it!

No comments:

Your Ad Here